A door evokes a moment in time, an action, the beginning of a story. Our story began back in 1860, when Carlo Lualdi founded the first carpentry shop in Magenta, which specialised in the creation of high-quality bespoke designs. In the second half of the 1900s, the company established a partnership with architect Luigi Caccia Dominioni that become a milestone in its history.
Collaborator, mentor, and family friend, the architect paved the way for Lualdi’s business breakthrough, with the launch of a product that remains as innovative and relevant today as it was then, namely LCD. LCD (a lacquer coated polyster film) brought industrial design, for the first time in the world, into the production of doors.
In the 1980s, due to a project commissioned by the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development in London, Lualdi started expanding into the UK market. From then on, its rise was unstoppable. Partnerships were established with leading European architectural firms, and then a meeting with Carl Magnusson, direct designer for Knoll, marked the company’s arrival in the United States.
Its conquest of America began in New York, with a commission to create the doors for the City Bank Tower. Its conquering force lay in its quality, elegance, and sleek Italian design, as well as its flexible production capacity.
Today, with showrooms in Milan, Miami, and New York, Lualdi is now a global ambassador for Italian design excellence and is involved in projects all over the world.
“Design means function and cultural content.
When the function disappears, the cultural content remains.”